My Top Five Things at UAB in 2008-09
And this week marks yet another year for the UAB record books.
While retreating with some students this year, I thought it would be a good idea to come up with a list of the My Top Five Things at UAB in 2008-09.
5. $5,000,000 Anonymous Donation to UAB - This is a big deal! $4 million to provide scholarships to women and minorities. $1 million for strategic initiatives. When endowed, the $4 million will provide almost $200,000 a year in scholarship support. If UAB is to become the world-class school we know it can be, this will really help us recruit some of the best and brightest.
Plus, I just think its freaking awesome that someone would donate over $86 million to colleges and universities with female presidents. Whoever it is doing this is pretty incredible.
Anyone want to speculate on who is doing this? Comment below!
4. 2008 Homecoming Bonfire – Someone asked me this weekend what my favorite on-campus event was and I had to confess it was the bonfire. Everything about it is fantastic!
Check out the video for an idea: Blaze the Night
And besides, how many times do you get to char the ground in the Mini-Park or watch heavy-duty equipment damage the grass? I consider it one of the coolest parts of my job.
And seriously, this picture (snapped by the very talented folk at the K-Scope) is just beyond beautiful.
3. UAB Restructuring – Its an exciting time at UAB! Departments are reorganizing, jobs are shifting and change is on the horizon. I don’t think anyone knows what’s going to come of this, but innovation and creativity are never a bad thing.
The restructuring team that was put into place is nothing short of brilliant.UNC at Chapel Hill is widely regaurded as one of the top schools in our nation. The Florida State System is top notch. Plus, there are quite a few people from our campus who I think will bring a lot to the team. I’m excited to see what happens.
UAB will continue to keep us in the loop via this website: Focus on the Future.
2. Starbucks on Campus – You know I’m a sucker for coffee. Nothing beats the new Starbucks that recently opened in the UAB Sterne Library.
After sitting there for two hours, drinking nine cups of coffee (I was a mess that day), I can safely conclude that our new Starbucks is amazing. Its certainly my new favorite place on campus. The staff is top notch. The location is great (at least for me). The coffee is tasty.
Kudos to Campus Restraurants for hitting this one out of the park. Looking forward to seeing if the newly renovated Cafe in the HUC will live up to this!
1. Car crashing through The UAB Commons - Breaking news courtesy of iloveuab.com. This is one of the craziest things I’ve seen on a college campus in a long time.
All things considered, this was a pretty good year for UAB. I’m looking forward to being a part of next year.
What’s your Top Five in 2008-09 look like? Sound off below!
Popularity: 4% [?]
Here are some more iloveuab.com posts that you may enjoy
- Starbucks is having a (belated) grand opening celebration! August 26, Starbucks is going to have its grand opening...
- Top 5 WORST Songs from 2008 So sit back, relax and get some ear plugs cause...
- Mad Splatter Party! The University Programs Council Films and Novelties committee meeting is...