Martin Luther King Day of Service at UAB
Yo, so we all know we don’t have to go to school on Monday, because of Martin Luther King Day. ALL RIGHT!!!! The thing is, this isn’t simply a day off. It’s a day that honors a man who died standing up for what he believed. Because of his progressive work in Civil Rights, the nation now honors Martin Luther King’s birthday on every 3rd Monday of January each year. This year it just happens to Fall one day before the inauguration of the first black president. What a coincidence.
Anyways, instead of sitting around all day and doing whatever it is that you were going to do, why not come out and volunteer at the MLK day of service put on by the Leadership and Service Council. It starts at Noon so you can still sleep in. (I give a thumbs up to the person who realized that starting a service project at Noon would be the smart thing to do.)
Here is what’s going on:
Here are the description of the sites that we will be volunteering at from the Hands on Birmingham website.
1. Urban Ministry- Urban Ministry needs volunteers for their Joe Rush Program. Volunteers scrape, prime, and paint the exterior of homes in the Birmingham area that are owned by the low-income elderly or disabled. In the case of extreme weather conditions volunteers will have the opportunity to work in their food pantry.
2. Weed and Seed- This project is a community overhaul! Volunteers are needed to paint over graffiti, pick up debris and paint a large fence. Please keep in mind this project may not be kid friendly since the graffiti contains curse words.
3. A.G. Gaston Boys & Girls Club (We will be using this site only if there are over 100 volunteers)- Boys and Girls Clubs are the positive place for kids! This MLK Day you can help energize the Kimbrough Homes Branch! Volunteers will be painting part of the porch, planting boxwoods, building a flower bed and painting 2 classrooms.
I’ll personally be there, and I hope to see you there also. Hill University Center 12 Noon
I had a flier to put up for this event, but it’s saved in like 4 files so its not going to get seen. Also, I’m a little late on mentioning this, I’ll try and get on top of things.
Popularity: 2% [?]
Here are some more iloveuab.com posts that you may enjoy
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service UAB’s Leadership and Service Council works on many various projects...
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service If you're feeling like a nice rousing day of service...
- Martin Luther King Jr. Week The University Programs Council’s Black Student Awareness Committee (BSAC) is...