4 Quick Tips for Getting Back on Track this fall
The following is a post from our newest writer Ashley Thompson be looking for Ashley to take over the health/lifestyle/entertainment realm of the site. Give her some love people! -CJ
Whether or not you are excited about going back to school, UAB’s first day is quickly approaching. Sometimes the transition from a fun-filled summer break to a strict routine of class after class can be difficult for some. I have outlined a few tips that have previously helped me get through the first couple of weeks and I believe they can help you also.
1. Although this may sound a bit cliché, establishing realistic academic goals before classes get going and outlining a plan to achieve them is helpful. For example, making plans to actually attend class or actually purchasing your textbooks will assist in a smoother transition because the more prepared you are the easier things will seem. This is also a positive step in the right direction, and offers lots of mental encouragement.
2. Find an activity on campus that you are interested in. Again, very cliché yet very true. We all know that time flies when you are having fun and doing something you love. I was a dancer on the UAB Golden Girls dance team for two years and it definitely made each semester seem faster and more fun. There are so many organizations and groups on campus, I’m sure you will find something that interests you. Find the ‘student organizations’ tab on iloveuab.com to check them out!
3. Take advantage of your gym membership. Summer is not the only time you should try to keep fit. UAB has an incredible rec center outfitted with a pool, every piece of equipment imaginable and multiple recreational courts. Believe it or not, there are actually students on campus who have never been to the rec center. Membership is included in your tuition, so you might as well take advantage of it. The rec center also offers both group fitness classes and personal training so head over there and familiarize yourself in your spare time.
4. The last thing I would advise for all new and returning students is to start planning your next vacation! Whether it’s a long Labor Day weekend or an amazing New Years Eve, having something special to look forward to will help you get through that first semester.
Popularity: 1% [?]
Here are some more iloveuab.com posts that you may enjoy
- Quick Shout Out to the New (and old) 2009-2010 Trailblazers! Applications have been turned in, interviews are long done and...
- Blazing on the Green Fall Concert featuring Andy Grammer As I’m sure all of you are aware, the first...
- UAB Fall Leadership Conference 2009 The UAB Fall Leadership Conference is a great way to...